Mustang Parent Reading Guide
Get Ready to Read:
- Find a comfortable spot for you and your family to read together such as the couch, bed or on the floor.
- Talk about how much you like reading and how excited you are about this book.
- Talk about competitions you have been in that you really wanted to win.
- Look at the cover and use questions like the following to guide your conversation:
- What’s the title of this book?
- Who is the author?
- What do you think this book will be about?
- Discuss something each of you learned from this book.
- Connect this book to the world.
- Is competition important? Why or why not?
- What impact do you think competition has on friendships?
- Connect this book to self:
- Tell about a time you weren’t a good sport in a competition.
- What does it mean to be a good sport?
Reading the Book:
- Look through the book and discuss any words you think might be new to your student.
- Stop during the story and have family members predict what might happen next.
After Reading the Book:
- Have your student retell the story to see if they can include the main characters, setting and main events of the story.
- Discuss the main idea of the story. What’s the lesson or the point the author is trying to make? What parts of the story best support the main idea?
Extend the Experience:
- Discuss or have your child draw or write about their favorite part of the book.
Share the Love: