Mustang Family Reading Guide
Fly Guy Presents Firefighters
Get Ready to Read:
- Find a comfortable spot for you and your family to read together such as the couch, bed or on the floor.
- Talk about how much you like reading and how excited you are about this book.
- Make a list together of what you each know about firefighters.
- Look at the cover and use questions like the following to guide your conversation:
- What’s the title of this book?
- Who is the author?
- What is happening in the picture on the cover?
- By looking at the picture on the cover, what do you think you will learn from this book?
- Discuss if this book is fiction or nonfiction and why.
- Connect this book to the world.
- Why do you think the author used photographs instead of only illustrations in this book?
- How do you feel about firefighters after reading this book?
Reading the Book:
- Look through the book and discuss any words you think might be new to your student.
- Stop during the story and have family members make note of anything new they have learned.
After Reading the Book:
- Have your student tell you what they learned about firefighters from the book.
- Did anything they learn surprise them about being a firefighter?
Extend the Experience:
- Discuss or have your child draw or write about a being a firefighter.
- Send me pictures or stories of your family reading time to firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-247-0757.
- Share your student’s writing or drawing about the story with me at email@example.com or 573-247-0757.
Share the Love: