Mustang Family Reading Guide
Mysteries According to Humphrey
Get Ready to Read:
- Find a comfortable spot for you and your family to read together such as the couch, bed or on the floor.
- Talk about how much you like reading and how excited you are about this book.
- Make a list together of what you think pets do all day while we are at school.
- Look at the cover and use questions like the following to guide your conversation:
- What’s the title of this book?
- Who is the author?
- What would your class pet think about you and your classroom?
- Discuss something each of you learned from this book.
- Connect this book to the world.
- Choose one event from the story and tell it from the human’s perspective.
- How would you describe the narrator of this book?
- Connect this book to self:
- Choose an event from the story where you had the same feeling as one of the characters and tell us about it.
Reading the Book:
- Look through the book and discuss any words you think might be new to your student.
- Stop during the story and have family members predict what might happen next.
After Reading the Book:
- Have your student retell the story to see if they can include the main characters, setting and main events of the story.
- Discuss the main idea of the story. What’s the lesson or the point the author is trying to make? What parts of the story best support the main idea?
Extend the Experience:
- Discuss or have your child draw or write about their favorite part of the book.
Share the Love:
- Send me pictures or stories of your family reading time to email@example.com or 573-247-0757.
- Share your student’s writing or drawing about the story with me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-247-0757.